Saturday, April 16, 2011

Frankfurt Airport - you don't want to be stuck here

For an airport its capacity, this is one shit airport!!!

It's probably as busy as Heathrow in terms of traffic but the airport shops and facilities is worse than most other European airports. One shouldn't even try putting it side-by-side with an Asian airport because then Frankfurt airport is just going to look downright pathetic.

The transit area is confusing and you might find yourself going through security checks over and over, meaning you keep having to surrender new bottles of water. Frustrating!!

When I landed the first thing I needed was the Internet. I had to go on Whatsapp to get my code from my cousin in UK to top up my UK number which I'm using for roaming.
Yet there was no free wireless internet. There were Internet kiosks but these charge 16euros an hour!!!! Daylight robbery! Seriously we already pay airport taxes - it's not like we don't. Besides we are in the transit area for crying out loud! The next time you come across free Internet kiosks in airports, be thankful because you know you are not in Frankfurt. So now I purchased an hour's wireless credit from T-Mobile. Still not happy about it because nobody pays for Internet in airports! And I feel cheated because in the airport website, it was stated that there's Internet. What they failed to mention was that they charge exhorbitantly.

Next the shops. Really pathetic. No luggage store in sight. No standalone designer boutique. Just your newsstand, about 5 or less restaurants and cafes (and this includes a McDonald's), perfume and cosmetics (very limited selection), liquors and tobacco products and a clothing store or two. That's it. I'm so thankful I have many snacks in my luggage that the crew prepared for me to take down with me.

I must have walked around the entire transit area twice and I did not even come across an information counter. Instead I caught men in suits - twice - asking airport staff for directions. Now, in all these years that I've been flying I've never come across this since these business travelers must know how to navigate airports like it's second nature! Again, one shit airport.

It's a real torture to be stuck in THIS airport for 9 hours. And I have another long transit on the way back. Pfffft

0 comments:

 

View From The Top Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Waterpark Gambang