Monday, March 30, 2009

Steinway piano

Last week, mum bought a new piano. Well, sort of. We've paid the deposit and now we're just waiting for it to be delivered before paying full. It's an upright grand and I'm more than happy to have the old one at home replaced.

After having chosen the piano of my choice the lady in the shop informed me that there was a Steinway & Sons piano in the shop and encouraged me to play on it, just for fun.
.... and I fell in love....
The sound was amazing and it felt a bit surreal to be playing a Steinway, even though it's just an upright and not a grand.
The cost? RM100,000!! For an upright piano, freaking RM100,000! Can someone tell me how much a Steinway grand costs?? The lady said they sold a Steinway grand last year but I was so in awe that I foolishly forgot to ask her how much they sold it for.

I still can't believe I played a Steinway.


Each Steinway grand piano consists of 12,000 specific parts assembled by 450 people. It takes one full year to build a Steinway piano. - Wiki.

5 comments:

mayne said...

oh you're getting an upright grand, how nice! i really miss playing sometimes. just for fun, i googled and came across a second hand steinway grand selling for A$93,000. second hand! so i'm guessing a brand new one could cost as much as A$150-200k.

MinnieMoose said...

Yeah my old one isn't in such great shape and I don't know how to get rid of it now. Oh man!! THat costs as much as a house! :\

anyways i think that u should get ur own piano in sydney once u have a permanent place. u've too much talent to let it go to waste.

Dental Girl said...

The brand new one is AUD150 000 the last time I checked. 3 years ago. Probably more now.

MinnieMoose said...

:| okayy, so mayne's estimates were pretty accurate.

I hear owned Steinway pianos don't depreciate, instead the prices go up 3-5% yearly.

TheGunner said...

I'm no piano guy, but, if it really takes a year of handbuilding to make, perhaps it's really worth that much.

 

View From The Top Template by Ipietoon Cute Blog Design and Waterpark Gambang